[Market-farming] Recommend good snow pea varieties?

Pam Twin Oaks pam at twinoaks.org
Sun Jun 8 14:30:06 EDT 2014

We've been really disappointed with our snow peas for a couple of years. We
loved Fedco's Sumo, but there's been no sign of it for a while. We used to
like Dwarf White and Dwarf Grey, but the White has disappeared and the Grey
has become a garnish pea, and seemingly is selected for tendrils, not pods.
We tried Johnny's promising sounding Shiraz, but they had a problem with
seed purity.

Can anyone make recommendations? We have a short pea season, before it gets
too hot, so we usually only look at dwarf varieties that don't need
elaborate trellises. We like big pods, rather than the very gourmet (take
forever to pick) baby types. We like ones resistant to powdery mildew.

Next year maybe we'll do variety trials.

Pam

--
Pam Dawling

Author of Sustainable Market Farming, Intensive Vegetable Production on a
Few Acres
sustainablemarketfarming.com
facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming
<https://www.facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming>