[Market-farming] Homegrown AND local

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 14:43:00 EDT 2014

Richard,
Successful enterprises, including farming, are oft collaborative.  We
advertise that to our advantage.  For instance, our soaps include tallow
and lard from a number of local farmers; who I point out when introducing
market customers to our soaps.  And our sorghum molasses is a community
affair, as are hog killings from which we source leaf lard for rendering.

So I stress the community aspect of my farm products, including those which
are value-added.  For a number customers, it can make for a more
interesting story.  That they're not only valuing my work, but the labor
and wisdom of my neighbors as well; the elderly ones teaching these skills
to my children.

As time permits, when a customer asks if I grew a certain vegetable, I'll
mention the various neighbors who helped out along the way, from soil prep
to final harvest and storage.  This speaks to my customers wanting to be
more 'grounded', both literal and figurative.

Richard Moyer
Weeding and mulching in SW VA