[Market-farming] Cross country trip planned. Like to connect w/other market farmers.

Marlin Burkholder burkholders at glenecofarm.com
Wed Jan 22 20:54:40 EST 2014

Hello everyone,

This coming summer my wife and I have decided to take off four months from
our lifetime of farming and take a RV trip around the country from VA
through the south and southwest to CA and north to the pacific northwest and
back through the upper mid west to home. We want to visit a number of
relatives and friends along the way and a number of national parks.  My son
has agreed to run the farm and with the help of neighbors and loyal CSA
members, keep the CSA, on farm PYO, and farmers' market stand going.

We plan to leave from VA's Shenandoah Valley on April 26 with first stops in
western NC and Nashville TN. We will then head for the Ozarks in AR and MO,
dip a little northward towards eastern KS, and then to northern NM and AZ.
We will then drift northeast towards CO for a reunion at Colorado Springs
over July 4 weekend before heading west again via northern UT, NV, and
central CA. After San Francisco we want to head northward to OR and WA
before swinging through MT and eastward through SD and on through IA and the
mid west to home by late August.

Here are some of our destinations:
* Smoky Mountains  NP       Ozarks                             Tall grass
prairie preservation park KS
* Baker Creek Seeds  MO     Grand Canyon NP           Several natl parks in
Southern UT
* Mesa Verde NP                   Rocky Mtn NP                Great Salt
Lake
* Yosemite NP                Sequoia and Redwoods NPs      San Francisco
* Crater Lake NP                           Mt St Helens
Columbia River Gorge
* Yellowstone  NP??                      Glacier NP
Badlands-Mt Rushmore

One of the goals for this trip is to spend some significant time away from
the humid eastern states climate and to see if my health improves in the
drier west.  I have been suffering for years from suspected environmental
mold sensitivity and more recently, Lyme disease.  A major part of my
healing strategy is avoiding toxic exposures, trying to get some of the
lifetime toxic buildup out of my body, and following a healthy diet low in
processed foods, additives, and toxic residues.  Since I have been farming
sustainably for the past 20 years I have been enjoying a healthier than the
average American diet and would like to continue doing so while on this
trip.  Eating healthy while on the road looks challenging and I see myself
missing those tasty heirloom tomatoes, fresh greens, and raw milk.  I would
like to seek out small town ³Mom and Pop² eateries, farmers¹ markets, and
organic produce farms as we travel.  We will be glad to pull some weeds or
pick beans, or do whatever in order to keep ourselves nourished with healthy
food.

If anyone along our loosely planned itinerary would like to have a visit
from us and a little free labor let us know by responding to this post or
contacting us off list.  We will be in a small RV so wouldn¹t need to impose
on anyone for a place to sleep.  Merely having a few places to park the RV
without paying a campsite fee would be worth a lot to us in exchange for
helping you out and sharing some camaraderie.

Marlin Burkholder
email: burkholders at glenecofarm.com
phone: 540 833 8802