[Market-farming] time budget info for various field crops?

Shoemaker, William H wshoemak at illinois.edu
Sun Jan 12 21:47:03 EST 2014

I think the challenge is to have a set of data that is relevant to a large audience. Production systems vary so widely, partly due to site/climate/ecology, partly due to markets, but mostly due to management choices. There is sooo much variability on the farm, and across farming operations. Developing a relevant database would require a large, diverse source of data, and you would still be left with the challenge of relevancy to your own operation. I think Steve mentioned the discipline of Engineers to take meticulous notes. In the end, that seems to be the real treasure chest. That data is there in Winter and will open your eyes to your own successes and failures. I'd encourage you to be a good documenter of your open business. Besides, you don't want averages to refer to. You want to build a superior market farming business based on the reality of your own experience.

Bill
William H. Shoemaker
Retired fruit and vegetable horticulturist
University of Illinois
wshoemak at illinois.edu