[Market-farming] time budget info for various field crops?

Aaron Brower aaronbrower at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 12 21:55:31 EST 2014

http://sfc.smallfarmcentral.com/dynamic_content/uploadfiles/942/Harvest%20Manual%202012%20website%20version.pdf

I've linked Roxbury farm's harvest manual which gives estimated times for harvesting and washing but that is using their tools and techniques which are quite efficient and not always representative of what others can achieve. This is specifically for harvest though and doesn't consider other time invested into a crop such as planting and weeding.
An important consideration for us when adding a new crop to the farm is asking ourselves what specific time of year we have a little extra time and based on that we try to find a crop that fits our needs. For instance, If I felt like I had some extra time in July then garlic may fit into our schedule. If it was june than strawberries may be a good fit. Most crops have a specific period within their growing cycle that demands more attention.