[Market-farming] time budget info for various field crops?

Kathryn Kerby kakerby at aol.com
Sun Jan 12 12:27:08 EST 2014

Thanks Richard and Steve.  I was sort of afraid of this.  I remember reading
a similar table in a book comparing different types of small-scale livestock
operations, many years ago.  One hive of bees will take you X amount of time
per month or per year.  A cow and calf, Y amount of time.  A batch of
piglets, Z amount of time.  I thought maybe there was at least a rule of
thumb for crops.  I did find one rather interesting study put out by the
USDA for wheat, corn and cotton, starting around 1900 and ending in the
early 60's, to show how mechanization had dramatically shortened the hours
per acre those three crops required.  The change really was astounding.  I
think for corn it went from 70hrs per acre, down to 7.  I suspect most of
that change was the increase in complexity and/or size of planting and
harvesting equipment.  But that was the only such comparison I was able to
find (so far).

Richard, interesting that you found tomatoes and lettuce to be two of your
"cash cows".  I dearly adore tomatoes but had almost relegated them to the
category of "expensive" on the assumption that they were relatively
time-intensive.  I seem to spend more time coddling them than just about
anything else.  Maybe because I enjoy them so much so it's work I'm willing
to do.  I don't have enough market experience yet to really crunch hard
numbers across a wide sampling, across a number of years. Just keep
trundling away with it this year and see what my own numbers tell me.

And Steve, funny you'd mention engineers-turned-farmers as being the best
record-takers.  My structural engineering husband has been the one goading
me to take better notes for a long time, and/or have a field log book.  He
announced over holiday break that he wanted to become the farm accountant,
if I was willing, and I just about did the snoopy dance of joy.  So those
financial records are already looking better than they have in years.  A lot
of my new-found note-taking motivation, is so that the rest of the farm
records will look as good.

Kathryn Kerby

Frogchorusfarm.com

Snohomish, WA