[Market-farming] time budget info for various field crops?

Steve Diver steved at ipa.net
Sun Jan 12 10:38:03 EST 2014

As an aside, in my work as a horticultural consultant the best record
keepers I came across were engineers-turned-farmers.  They had previous
careers and training as engineers but once they shifted into organic
vegetable CSAs and fruit orchards they brought meticulous spreadsheets
and record keeping to the table.

Btw, while laying out spreadsheets, I found Calc the OpenOffice
spreadsheet more fluidity than Excel, with both being essential to have
around.

But to answer your question, I've never seen the time figures you're
asking for in once place.  I figure experienced farmers have a sense for
what you're asking, but it's not on paper in one table, plus it will
vary widely between farming systems and labor pools.

The closest source I can suggest are the crop enterprise budgets
published by land-grant universities/Extension Service.  They have
labor/time estimates in the tables, per crop. (But lacking details so
it's just a starting point).

Steve Diver