[Market-farming] Cover crop -- not grain -- before garlic

garlicgrower at green-logic.com garlicgrower at green-logic.com
Fri Jan 3 07:14:59 EST 2014

Thanks for the input, Richard.   We have a great Agway not too far away that
seems to have the basics in cover crops - I try to learn what I can and then
ask them very specifically what I want - so far, it's worked as long as I
can tell them exactly what I'm looking for.  No shipping as I can drive up
there and the next town over has a FABULOUS creamery with THE BEST ice
cream! J

My extension agent wants me to do cowpeas instead of soybeans.  This is the
link she gave me:

If you decide to go with soybeans you will likely want to use cowpeas which
are a bit more drought tolerant. Here is some info
http://www.sare.org/Learning-Center/Books/Managing-Cover-Crops-Profitably-3r
d-Edition/Text-Version/Legume-Cover-Crops/Cowpeas

Tons of snow today, so will read up!

Dorene Pasekoff

Hill Creek Farm

Pottstown, PA