[Market-farming] Cover crop -- not grain -- before garlic

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Thu Jan 2 19:31:46 EST 2014

Been busy and put of town for the last two weeks.

When looking into cover crops I would also give the local seed vendors that supply your conventional neighbors.  We got organic black turtle beans at a fraction of the cost Peaceful Valley was going to charge.  It took some time to get them but in the end they know the source now and can order them quickly, cheaply, as needed.  We also got our tillage radish and oats through our local seller.  Also far cheaper than any of the folks like Johnny's or Peaceful Valley.   After all, most of the seeds they sell are grown by someone else, not them.

Seedway is a good source as well.  They have a quickly growing section of organic and non-treated.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855