[Market-farming] Managing Crown Rot in Asparagus when You're trying to be organic

Shoemaker, William H wshoemak at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 4 18:39:50 EDT 2014

Anything you can do to improve soil drainage will help. Some folks will tile their fields. This can be a little expensive but it works. Building soil organic mater helps enormously but it takes time. But then, so does fusarium. Unless the field has a history of fusarium in asparagus, it will probably be years before you see it. Using plow-down green manures between rows during the growing season could be a useful approach.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

Retired fruit and vegetable horticulturist

University of Illinois

wshoemak at illinois.edu<mailto:wshoemak at illinois.edu>