[Market-farming] farm transition ideas?

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Mon Apr 14 18:16:34 EDT 2014

We're facing a lot of the same issues.  My first question is - where  are
you located?  There are a number of local, regional and state programs  to
help guide that transition; I can think of at least three within my local
area.  But they are often geographically oriented, meaning that programs  here
wouldn't be applicable to whatever area you're in.  Even providing
county/state would be helpful.  Second, have you spoken with any attorneys  and/or
lenders in your area to start to get some options lined up?  Those
conversations don't tie you into any one option; they just help flesh out which
options you have and what they'd look like in your day-to-day life.  Third,
would your continuance of the farm operations constitute business-as-usual for
that farm, and merely be a change in who's holding the reins?  Or would
your management involve changes to the products being sold, operations being
conducted, equipment/facilities being used?  The more similar the
operation, the easier that transition is going to be to "sell" to a variety of
third-party groups who might help shepherd that ownership transition.  On  the
other hand, if you have very different ideas on what you intend to do with
that property, you'd have to show a lot more paper trail for how you're going
to  do it.  So that matters too.

You're in very good company.  Lots and lots of folks (including us)  are
facing the same scenario.  There's no one right answer here.  If  you lived
here I'd refer you to the various training seminars and non-profit  groups who
are working to keep farmland in farming hands.  It's a big  enough issue
that most areas will have something similar.  So a bit more  info on your
location would be a good starting point.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 4/14/2014 2:49:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,