[Market-farming] Silage tarps ala Fortier

Etienne Goyer etienne at lejardinduvillage.ca
Sun Apr 13 08:13:47 EDT 2014

Silage tarp is available, AFAIK, in any feed/agricultural store.  I
don't know about the US, but around here, it's fairly easy to find, so I
am kinda surprised at your difficulties.  Wherever farmers go in your
area for feeds, bale twine, and such should carry silage tarp.  Unless,
of course, nobody does silage hay in your area.

The one I am getting here is 4 mil, black on a side, white on the other.
  24' x 100' is also the smallest size I can get.  I do not recommend
buying the larger size (30' x 150' and such), because the roll are very
heavy (upward of 200 lbs) and hard to work with.  Moreover, it gets even
heavier when it is wet, which make handling the larger silage tarp size
very, very challenging.

You could cut up a wider roll in more manageable bed-sized strips.
However, this year, I am buying a couple rolls of Texsol (nursery woven
tarp, polypropylen fabric) instead.  They come in various width.  In my
case, I plan on getting the 12' width, to cover two 5' beds at once.
The only research I have read on the subject concluded that silage tarp
was better, but I think the nursery tarp will be easier to handle.

This is what I am talking about:

http://www.duboisag.com/en/greenhouses-nurseries-irrigation-equipment/greenhouse-liners-weed-control/greenhouse-liners.html

Dubois also has silage tarp, but I doubt it would be competitive to have
it shipped to the US.

http://www.duboisag.com/en/multi-silage-tarps.html

One thing I can say is that it is worth the trouble.  I am a newcomer to
the technique, so my personal experience is very limited.  But from what
I have seen on other farms, the result are astounding.  After a few
weeks of occultation, the soil texture is absolutely incredible.  I
think it's worth giving this a try.

Have fun,

Etienne

On 14-04-13 06:42 AM, Allan Balliett wrote:
> I find Jean-Martin Fortier's "the Market Gardener" full of ideas but way
> too short on appropriate details.
>
> I'm having trouble right now with the "silage tarps" used for
> "occultation" of seed beds.
>
> After a lot of phone calls, I found a company that can 'talk' silage
> tarps but the smallest I can find is a black and white 24' by 100' ($109
> US) and at 5mil rather then the recommended 6 mil.
>
> If there are details in this book on what sizes to buy or practical ways
> to cut tarps to size, I haven't been able to find them.
>
> I'm wondering if any readers of market-farming have already solved this
> problem, one way or another.
>
> Aside from practical issues, it sure is a great idea! I may pick up a
> tarp and cover a half dozen prepared beds, which wouldn't be out of
> line, really, but a tarp per bed would be much more practical.
>
> -Allan in WV

> address and password):

Etienne Goyer  -  Le Jardin du Village
http://lejardinduvillage.wordpress.com