[Market-farming] Silage tarps ala Fortier

Allan Balliett allan.balliett at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 06:42:40 EDT 2014

I find Jean-Martin Fortier's "the Market Gardener" full of ideas but way
too short on appropriate details.

I'm having trouble right now with the "silage tarps" used for "occultation"
of seed beds.

After a lot of phone calls, I found a company that can 'talk' silage tarps
but the smallest I can find is a black and white 24' by 100' ($109 US) and
at 5mil rather then the recommended 6 mil.

If there are details in this book on what sizes to buy or practical ways to
cut tarps to size, I haven't been able to find them.

I'm wondering if any readers of market-farming have already solved this
problem, one way or another.

Aside from practical issues, it sure is a great idea! I may pick up a tarp
and cover a half dozen prepared beds, which wouldn't be out of line,
really, but a tarp per bed would be much more practical.

-Allan in WV