[Market-farming] Insurance for the trailers

Kathryn Kerby kakerby at aol.com
Tue Apr 8 15:26:06 EDT 2014

I'm actually glad this topic has come up.  Insurance issues aside, I'm glad
for the discussion on the cost effectiveness of moving compost from point A
to point B, about 10 miles apart.  We have a goofy setup here where we
winter animals here at home, then move them all down to pasture (part of our
hayfield) right about now each year.  So we have a stockpile of compost at
home.  I've been trying to figure out the logistics of moving that compost
to the hayfield where it can be put to really good use.  But most folks look
at my questions like "you want to move lots of compost from home?  Why?
Just buy it in!"  Um, I want to move it because it's free and other compost
is not.  So while I had some pointers on the insurance angle, I'd love to
hear more about the specific trailers/trucks/hitches that folks use, and
issues with loading/unloading.  We have trucks, trailers, loaders etc at
both locations, but somehow my normal advisors are treating this like trying
to plan a trip to the moon.  I'd love to hear about how folks do it
themselves.

Kathryn Kerby

Frogchorusfarm.com

Snohomish, WA