[Market-farming] Firm Market Start Times? Pros and Cons?

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 17:22:28 EDT 2014

Our market Steering Committee meets tomorrow night.  On the agenda is
whether we start on the hour (as advertised and in our written rules), or
allow early sales as vendors are setting up.  So vendors who set up early
don't have to twiddle their thumbs, and early customers aren't
inconvenienced by the wait.

 A few years back our afternoon market, officially 4-7 pm, kept creeping
back until it actually began closer to 3.  And some things were selling out
before official start at 4.  So we set a firm time of 3-6, with no early
sales allowed.

But a new crop of vendors, unaware of that history, are asking to sell as
soon as they are ready, before our official opening time.

We do have a market manager, and advertise on the hour starts, in multiple
media platforms.

What is YOUR experience with firm starts on the hour vs. allowing sales
between any vendor that shows up early.

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
SW VA