[Market-farming] GM sweet corn

Halstead, Kate khalstead at wsu.edu
Thu Oct 31 10:39:04 EDT 2013

While I consider myself exceedingly fortunate that our corn's worst enemy is contamination from the local GMO silage surrounding us, I've heard several times over the years from folks that had good luck controlling corn worms with vegetable oil or oil laced with Bt. http://www.pfi.iastate.edu/ofr/Crops/SA14_Protecting_Sweet_Corn_from_Corn_Earworm_w_Oil_and%20Btk.pdf seems to confirm that as well. Labor intensive to be sure, but worth considering for smaller crops if the market demand will bear the true cost.

Kate Halstead
Agriculture Workshops
WSU Snohomish County Extension
600 128th St SE
Everett, WA 98208-6353
C-360.794.6081
W-425.357.6024
khalstead at wsu.edu
www.snohomish.wsu.edu
Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office or to the WSU Center for Human Rights.
In the long view, no nation is healthier than its children, or more prosperous than its farmers. --Harry Truman