[Market-farming] GM sweet corn

Etienne Goyer etienne at lejardinduvillage.ca
Thu Oct 31 10:19:46 EDT 2013

Thanks for the info.

I am considering trying growing sweet corn next year on a small-scale as
a pilot project.  The demand is strong, but the price uninteresting.  I
want to test the market, and see if people are willing to 1. pay more
than they currently do for local, non-GMO, unsprayed sweet corn (not
certified so cannot call myself organic), and 2. accept that an ear or
two a dozen may contain a worm.  I will have to do so some work on crop
budgeting to make sure I don't make a loss, but I am considering pricing
in the 8$/dz range.  I am also considering using trichogram wasp for
worm control.  The growing part will be a challenge; I have plenty of
space to grow, but the climate here is not exactly the best for sweet
corn.  We'll see how it goes.

I do not know much about american consumer's culture, but I can tell you
that around here, if you where to label your corn as "genetically
modified", you would not sell a single ear.  I am not saying it's
rational, and I fully agree that is in contradiction with demanding
perfect corn.  But I think that there is definitely a market opportunity
here, although customer education is key to getting into it.  It's
important for me to be truthful about the claims I am making, hence why
I am trying to confirm the information I want to use in marketing my own
crop (in that case, that store-sold sweet corn import from the US is
likely to be GM).

Anyway, this may or may not pan out.  I have very many projects on the
burner, so whether or not I go ahead with growing sweet corn in 2014
remains to be determined.  I will let you know guys how it works out, if
indeed I go ahead with this.

Thanks again!

Etienne