[Market-farming] GM sweet corn

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Thu Oct 31 09:41:55 EDT 2013

A majority of the bulk big box store sweet corn is indeed Bt.  Around us its about half and half…half Bt and half sprayed about 4 too 6 days.  I have yet to meet an organic grower that consistently grows great yummy sweet corn where they have it available from July to September.

I am not saying they do not exist.  The closest I have found is the guy we work with that is light spray and only sprays once they see an large outbreak of ear worm and then its only spot.  They are smart and reserve their sprays to outbreaks and infestations like the three generations before them understanding that insects develop tolerance.  Nothing remotely organic though.  THey told me they tried it one year and they pretty much had to absorb the cost on the corn that was damaged.  Folks  go through and look for ear worms.  I remember it being my childhood duty to break off tips.

I'll argue that Bt is as consumer driven as GMO products come.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855