[Market-farming] The Founding Fables of Industrialized Agriculture

ecoponderosa 3cedarsfarm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 14:01:09 EDT 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SANET-MG] The Founding Fables of Industrialized Agriculture
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:39:28 -0400
From: J Latham <jrlatham at BIOSCIENCERESOURCE.ORG>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Dear Sanet

Published Today on Independent Science News
The Founding Fables of Industrialised Agriculture (Wed 30th Oct 2013)
by Colin Tudge
url:
http://www.independentsciencenews.org/un-sustainable-farming/the-founding-fables-of-industrialised-agriculture/

Synopsis: Industrial agriculture "is a far bigger threat to humanity
than North Korea or “terrorism”, or the collapse of banks or dwindling
oil". It is sold on a series of mythological propositions. Principal
among them are the high yields and efficiency of monoculture
agriculture, the inadequacy of smallholder farming, and the existence of
a food productivity crisis. Journalists, politicians, and especially
academics, propagate these myths largely unaware of their contradiction
by evidence. Demolishing these myths and halting the march of industrial
farming, therefore, "is the cause of our age....whatever else we may
aspire to do, agriculture is the thing we absolutely have to get right."

Colin Tudge is author of So Shall We Reap and many other books about
agriculture.

Please share this article

Yours sincerely

Jonathan Latham, PhD