[Market-farming] Position for Director of Farm and Land Development in Central Kentucky

Steve Diver steved at ipa.net
Fri Oct 4 15:37:59 EDT 2013

Posting the following announcement, please contact them directly

Position: Director of Farm and Land Development
Location: Central Kentucky
Employer: Loretto Motherhouse in Nerinx, Kentucky
Salary: $35,000-$45,000 plus benefits
Starting date: Fall/Winter 2013

Loretto Motherhouse is the traditional “home place” for the Sisters of
Loretto, and a spiritual center for the broader Loretto Community,
‘which seeks to praise God and serve the near and farther neighbor by
educating ourselves and others in the ways of peace and justice.’

The Loretto Motherhouse property has been a working farm from the time
Reverend Stephen Badin purchased the land in 1796 and named it St.
Stephen’s Farm. It became home to the Sisters of Loretto in 1824, the
center from which Loretto sent teachers to the western frontier and,
later as far as China, South America, Africa, and Pakistan. The 788-acre
property today is the permanent home for about 100 sisters and
co-members and includes the farm, a licensed long term care facility,
residential buildings, and two retreat centers. As much as possible, the
Community’s spiritual values guide our decision-making and planning at
the Motherhouse.

The Loretto Community Land Ethic, a statement of values affirmed by the
entire Community in 2006, recognizes land as a gift and sign of God and
expresses our commitment to tend the land in such a way that “all life
is enhanced and protected, and that the variety of ecosystems is sustained.”

Land Use and Farm:

The current farm engages one full-time farmer in raising commodity
crops, managing a cow-calf operation, and supervising various
conservation practices. The farm has a well developed infrastructure and
modern machinery appropriate for current operations. We have engaged in
government-supported conservation practices for about 40 years,
principally the Timber Stand Improvement Program and establishment of
riparian buffers. In 2012, seventy-five acres of land were enrolled in
the Conservation Reserve Program and were planted in hardwoods,
pollinator habitat and native grasses. We are within ten miles of the
new Wendell Berry Center at St. Catharine College, Springfield KY, where
we expect to form solid collaborations as the Center develops.

Summary of Loretto Motherhouse Property: 788 acres
http://www.lorettocommunity.org/who-we-are/loretto-motherhouse/motherhouse-farm-and-land/

The Position of Director of Farm and Land Development

The Director will be an agriculture professional who shares our values
and has the training and experience to make those values a practical
reality at Loretto Motherhouse. He or she will help us move forward in
implementing our values regarding 760 acres of our farm and land, while
also carrying out the day-to-day farm operations.

As one part of the Loretto Community long term planning process for the
Motherhouse, we anticipate exploring a diverse set of possibilities for
our land. The exploration of possibilities is an important part of this
position and will provide essential information for Community planning.

Essential Functions of the Director of Farm and Land Development. The
Director will work in close collaboration with the Motherhouse Service
Coordinator and the Motherhouse Coordinating Board, and in a manner
consistent with Loretto’s Land Ethic.

The Director will:
-- Perform the daily work of the current farm operation, while taking
steps to implement practices that are more sustainable;
-- Contribute to the development of a long-term plan;
-- Implement the long-term plan, as applicable;
-- Supervise or manage workers (temporary, part-time, or volunteer workers)

Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate

In the area of farming, the Director should demonstrate:
*Extensive experience in land and farm operations and management
*A firm commitment to sustainable land use compatible with the Loretto
Land Use Ethic;
*Training and proven competence in crop and cattle production,
management and marketing;
*Training and proven competence in sustainable alternatives for farm and
land use;
*Capacity to handle the physical demands of daily farm work;
*Competence in maintaining farm equipment, fencing, and farm buildings
as well as in operating a variety of farm machinery;
*Willingness and experience in collaborating with knowledgeable
individuals in the local farm community, universities and government
agriculture agencies;

In the area of management:
*Computer literacy and Internet research skills;
*Training and proven competence in financial planning, computer-based
budgeting, and financial analysis of farming operations;
*Initiative and proven skill in pursuing partnerships, networks, and
funding sources for innovative farm and land practices;
*Experience as an educator preferred;

Additional Qualification
*Ability to think creatively;
*Strength in implementing and evaluating progress toward long-term goals;
*Highly self-motivated with a demonstrated ability to work with minimal
supervision;
*Proven ability to collaborate effectively with a variety of people and
committees.

To apply, send resume and cover letter to farmposition at gmail.com
Screening of applications will begin November 15, 2013, and will
continue until a suitable applicant is found.
For further information, go to http://www.lorettocommunity.org/motherhouse/