[Market-farming] foliar sprays

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Mar 25 15:05:46 EDT 2013

On Mar 25, 2013, at 2:54 PM, Kakerby wrote:

> If the farm in question has yearly sales revenue below a certain
> threshold, and/or sells primarily direct to consumers, then GAP and/
> or FSMA rules may not apply.

They may not apply formally; but if the practice as used is actually
unsafe, and if anybody gets or claims to get sick from eating the
produce, as I understand it they can be brought to apply in the
specific instance.

So it seems to me there are two questions to answer: 1) is the
practice forbidden by anything that the specific farm either has
signed on to, or is legally otherwise bound by and 2) is the practice
significantly likely to be hazardous? If the answer to either is yes,
avoiding it would be a good idea.

As others have said, determining whether the answer to either is yes
requires specific information about the material, the crop, the growth
stage of the crop, the interval to harvest, and the likely market.
Whether the material gets on the leaves and/or fruit of the crop is
likely to be relevant. Whether it gets there by means of a sprayer I
would think is probably not relevant; though how well the sprayer's
been cleaned and what was in it previously might well be.