[Market-farming] another insurance question

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Fri Mar 8 13:11:26 EST 2013

I'm in several regional growers and farmers' groups, and I've never seen
any of this stuff discussed except for the occasional "I need insurance, who
do  I talk to" email sent out to the various groups.  That's been the extent
of  it so far.  I suspect a lot of folks have followed the
don't-ask-don't-tell  approach so it's almost a taboo topic.  I also suspect a lot of folks
are  simply running without insurance at all, or just crossing their fingers
and  hoping that their residential insurance policy covers it. That's what
we were  doing until we learned that our residential insurance policy not
only wouldn't  cover a lot of this stuff, but would be canceled outright if it
came to  light we were engaged in these farming activities.  That's when we
knew we  had to find something else.

As for whether every insurer in the state of WA has similar policies, I
can't say with 100% certainty.  But I can say that when we first started
shopping for coverage three years ago, we talked to three different insurers who
 claimed to do farm insurance of some kind.  But when we said we did meat
and eggs, that ended the conversation right there.  I had landed with
Nationwide because they didn't stop the conversation at that point; they still
offered coverage for all the farm activities we were doing at the time.  I
suspect in the intervening months, they have reached a corporate decision
that  they don't want to stay in the farm insurance biz, because right now the
underwriter is throwing every possible obstacle in our path that he can
think  of.  The two other insurance agents I've talked to, have had to  shop
around for policy coverage from national and/or out of state  sources.  But if
those policies are national in coverage, then growers in  other states
would have similar issues.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 3/8/2013 9:53:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,