[Market-farming] another kind of tsunami

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Thu Mar 7 08:56:21 EST 2013

On Mar 7, 2013, at 7:32 AM, Lori sands wrote:

> I personally know 2 farmers here in western PA who were told by
> State Ag agents to "cease and desist" from selling lettuce mix at
> farmers markets.  This was during the summer of 2011.  The lettuce
> in question was a cut and washed mix of lettuce types in open bags.
> The reason given was that the lettuce mix was considered
> 'processed'.  In one case the Ag guy even showed up at a farm to
> 'remind' the grower a few days later.
> I didn't hear of this happening last summer, though.
>
> Lori Sands
> Silver Wheel Farm
> western PA

Was the grower selling the lettuce as washed ready-to-eat? I tell
customers that some produce has been rinsed to get the field dust or
mud off; but that it's not washed-ready-to-eat and they should wash it
again before eating.

I think some inspectors are stricter than others, though. (also some
customers . . . )