[Market-farming] another kind of tsunami

Clark Furlong clark at crookedcarrot.com
Wed Mar 6 23:23:42 EST 2013

Here's a good definition of cut leafy greens from

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/02/two-sides-of-the-coin-for-food-safety-of-cut-leafy-greens/#.UTgUgoy9KSM

*Leafy greens that have only been cut from their root in the field (this is
sometimes called a “harvest cut”) with no additional cutting, shredding,
slicing, chopping, or tearing are not cut leafy greens;*

*Leafy greens that simply have the stem, stalk, or the butt of the core
trimmed are not cut leafy greens. This would apply to heads of lettuce and
cabbages or whole clumps of leaf lettuce or spinach, for example. In all
cases, the exterior leaves may be discarded.*

*If the core of a head of lettuce or cabbage is completely removed then the
remaining leaves are cut leafy greens. But the entire plant harvested from
the field would not be a cut leafy green.*

*If exterior leaves are removed and discarded, the head or clump is still
not a cut leafy green. But if someone is snipping or tearing leaves off one
by one to use as food (and the core of head lettuce or cabbage is still
intact), the snipped or torn leaves are a cut leafy green. However, the
remaining head or clump is not a cut leafy green.*

*
*

*Clark Furlong*

*Crooked Carrot Farm*

*San Tan Valley, AZ*

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Road's End Farm wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Richard Stewart wrote:
>

> In Ohio the cut type leads into processing.  We design systems that are
> single cut AKA Harvest cut.  So our salad mixes are very simple.  We cut
> high.  Lots of issues there POSSIBLY in the future but most of it all
> happens AFTER the first cut.  Then there is how you package it.  Bag open
> and OK.  Bag closed and its processed.
>

> Same thing in NY, as near as I can tell.
>

> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 6A now I think

Crooked Carrot Farm
www.crookedcarrot.com