[Market-farming] Response to FDA's proposed Rules

Steve Gilman stevegilman at verizon.net
Wed Mar 6 12:22:24 EST 2013

Hi All,

The first two proposed rules issued by FDA are some 1700 pages thick. A task force coordinated by the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC) that worked on getting exemptions in the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) is now going through the rules line by line. There's a lot of red flags -- and mid-March there will be a launch of national Comment Campaign reaching out to farmers and eaters concerned about impacts on the smaller farm sector and the growth of the food movement.

This can potentially have a large effect. Please stay tuned -- our concerted responses will be very important. The comment period is scheduled to end May 16th.

Steve Gilman
NOFA Policy Coordinator