[Market-farming] Ginger, Alternatives for Planting

ecoponderosa 3cedarsfarm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 19:49:33 EST 2013

On 3/5/2013 10:14 AM, Road's End Farm wrote:
 >> On Mar 5, 2013, at 10:09 AM, Richard Moyer wrote:
 >> Maybe organic ginger in the grocery is all more viable?  Any ideas?
 > The organic ginger I bought in the grocery last year was mostly
 > nonviable. Only a small proportion of it grew.
 > I expect that batches vary.

I called the produce department at Whole Foods and inquired whether
their organic ginger (about $6.50/lb.) was treated to prevent sprouting.
The employee I talked to explained that if it was stored for a month or
so it could sprout and said that it was not treated with anything. He
also said that he was from an African country and that his community, as
standard practice, stored their ginger in a medium that allowed
sprouting; if they needed to replenish their stocks they would simply
use these starts to plant in their gardens and that it grew just fine.
His message was that: WF's was not treated, was organic and also might
sprout. They just might be a great new source for ginger to plant for a
cash crop and if it grew satisfactorily and growers gave them positive
feedback they might implement extra quality control and ensure future
supplies. This might just be the kind of product they like, things to
plant in the garden alongside the figs, herbs, ornamentals, vegetable
seeds and starts and more that they already market in season.