[Market-farming] Ginger, Alternatives for Planting

David Paysnick davepays at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 19:26:50 EST 2013

Almost, if not all, of the organic ginger in the US is from Peru or Hawaii.  The Hawaiian has larger, fatter hands (all commercial varieties seem to) than peruvian and tends to have milder (less spicy) and more floral flavor.  I have not heard of the Peruvian type (always yellow in my experience) being grown successfully in the states, at least not central, north or Atlantic states.

David Paysnick
Rainbow Harvest Farms
www.rainbowharvestfarms.com