[Market-farming] [BULK] Re: Ginger - anyone else get shorted on their order?

Brigette Leach afhg at ctsmail.net
Tue Mar 5 12:04:03 EST 2013

Just my opinion, but I think contacting East Branch Ginger or Puna Organics
with questions pertaining to disease makes more sense than guessing, or
taking the risk that cold weather or time would resolve disease threat .

We spent a day with "Biker Dude" at Puna last January, and left with the
impression that disease is an issue and is the reason he is so particular
with the quality of  his seed stock. Rather than perpetuating misinformation
that I might provide, go to the source. By the way, he's a great guy and an
excellent host! I believe he would respond to e-mails with your questions.

As I recall, we learned that most of the ginger root available for culinary
purposes is imported from China, which would give me pause. If that is not
the case, I stand corrected in advance.

We didn't get any ginger from East Branch this season because I got busy and
forgot to order. By the time I remembered, they were sold out. Last years
crop did well for us, although we need to work on building the demand for
baby ginger in our customer base. All in all, it was a positive experience
and I loved having it for my own pleasure.

Brigette
Avalon Farms
Climax MI