[Market-farming] Ginger, Alternatives for Planting

Wiediger, Alison alison.wiediger at hart.kyschools.us
Tue Mar 5 10:15:48 EST 2013

Richard,

>From what I understand, the ginger in the grocery MAY be treated (hot water maybe? can't remember) to inhibit sprouting so it has better shelf life for the consumer.  So, it makes sense to do as you suggest, to pick out hands that already have growing points initiated.  In the event of a shortage, we all have to consider other options.  At the end of the season, it will be interesting to share our observations.

Alison Wiediger

From: market-farming-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:market-farming-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Richard Moyer
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:10 AM
To: market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ginger, Alternatives for Planting

East Branch was out last year (never been a customer, though have placed orders).
So I picked out the best looking roots in the local grocery (nonorganic), in late April and early May.  Brought them inside on cooler nights.

Can't compare to East Branch seedstock, but we did grow and sell and the ginger from our high tunnel, about 50 row ft.
And yes, a few of the original roots still look good, though I don't plan to use them.

My hesitation with ordering a case is that at least half of what I saw in the grocery last year did not have active green, potentially growing tips.  So I preferred picking the best from what was in the produce bin.

Maybe organic ginger in the grocery is all more viable?  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard