[Market-farming] Poultry brooding

Burke Farm burkefarm at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 03:05:17 EDT 2013

Hi folks,

I know many of you raise poultry for market, like us.  We are considering
upgrading our brooder, it is the limiting factor right now in our broiler
batch size.  We use a 10 x 12 cement block building but can only brood
about 125 broilers because the ventilation is not very good. So, we can
either..
1) move the broilers to something else between 2 and 3.5 weeks, or 2)
improve ventilation in our building ( not sure how, it is already hard
enough to keep it warm enough in spring ) or 3) use something else
entirely.

Any ideas?  Our main reason for wanting to do a larger batch is so we can
just do 1 batch per summer instead of 3. Outdoor temps in brooding season
range from 25 to 105... Lows in the 40s are normal.

Lisa Burke
Farming engineers
Central IN z5b