[Market-farming] farm WiFI

Etienne Goyer etienne at lejardinduvillage.ca
Thu Jan 24 19:40:18 EST 2013

If you wish to bring wifi to the field, you could get a decent coverage
using a high-gain omnidirectional antenna mounted on a high point (such
as the roof of your barn, for example).  Of course, wiring a router up
there would be a challenge, but it might be feasible.  How far the
signal would travel is difficult to predict, but I guess it might be
possible to get a couple hundred yards with a good setup and clear
line-of-sight.

Search Google for "high-gain omnidirectional wifi antenna".  You would
get quite a few hits.

Etienne

On 13-01-24 05:16 PM, bobbett at windstream.net wrote:

> ---- Beth Spaugh <lists at rhomestead.com> wrote:
>> What WiFi do you use to get a signal that travels well over how far?  Thank
>> you.
>
> Are you talking about tower strength or are you talking about routers (within the house)?
>
> Towers around here, from Windstream.net, only have about a 3 mile reach, so if you're not within a tower zone, you can't get their wifi.
>
> IN the house we use Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHz broadband router 54 Mbps.  Ours is from about 2007 (when we first got Wifi).  It does NOT reach all parts of our house well unless it's directly mid-center.  Our house is about 2800 sq ft on two floors with walls made with a LOT of hard wood.
>
> Hopefully that answers whichever question you were asking.
>
> I'm sure, too, that wireless routers have improved in the past 4-5 yrs, so there are probably stronger ones on the market today.  They also sell repeaters that will boost your signal, but I don't know how far their reach is.  With our router our pc's will lose the signal once you go outside and walk about 10-15' :-(  so we don't have wireless in our barn, stable, or garage.
>
> Bobbett in KY
> address and password):

Etienne Goyer  -  Le Jardin du Village
http://lejardinduvillage.wordpress.com