[Market-farming] broadforks

Pam Twin Oaks pam at twinoaks.org
Tue Jan 15 10:45:05 EST 2013

Thanks for the help I got earlier when I asked about broadforks. I decided
to go with this one:
http://www.shop.waycooltools.com/Broadfork-Unbreakable-broad-fork-WW-UBF.htm;jsessionid=F57DAE78A81477B7EF2EC592617843C1.qscstrfrnt01

I want the broadfork primarily for loosening beds in the hoophouse,
where we don't till. I want to cover a 48" bed top in two passes, and be
manageable for normal farmers
(rather than 6'+ bodybuilders).

I looked at Johnny's, Gulland Forge, Cool Tools, Valley Oak, Grelinette
from Red Pig Tools, Meadow Creature and Lehman's. Then Gemplers.

I had thought I'd prefer ash handles to steel, but Charles from Way Cool
Tools brought their heat-treated all metal one over for me to try, and I
liked it a lot. Not too heavy, seems strongly made. I heard of some bending
and breaking problems with other brands, and with wooden handles.

So, thanks to those who sent opinions based on their experience!

Pam
--
Pam Dawling

Author of Sustainable Market Farming, Intensive Vegetable Production on a
Few Acres
http://www.sustainablemarketfarming.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming
http://www.newsociety.com/Books/S/Sustainable-Market-Farming