[Market-farming] Transplanter

grizzdover at gmail.com grizzdover at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 12:45:27 EST 2013

I also have a single row Rotary One with the water tank option and also
been really happy with it.  Last season, I even experimented with planting
potatoes with it and was happy with how it performed.  Like Andy mentioned,
it does take some guess and check with getting it to set and pack the
transplants well.  I have found though that sometimes it takes less time to
just walk back down the row and push in any transplants that didn't get
buried well.  The coulter blade would probably help open up your heavier
soil, but I think the blade bouncing off buried stones (of a softball size
or greater) may create some issues as well as the packing wheels being able
to cover up the plants.

I do have limited experience with different transplanters, but have found
any adjustments to this transplanter easy and quick to do, even in the
field.  I've also never planted any cell size larger than 72s with it.
I've found that if the transplants get a little leggy (like tomatoes or
peppers) and aren't growing straight they will get caught up in the shoot.

Ben Saunders
Granger, Iowa
www.wabisabi-farm.com