[Market-farming] Starting Onions in Ground

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:49:46 EST 2013

Bill and Pam,
Thanks for this thread.  (This list archive includes HT onion seeding and
transplant production; just reviewed that a couple of days ago.)

In reviewing my 2012 market year, we could have sold many more onions in
Aug, Sept and Oct, at a good price.  We sold out before then.

Those of us locally who seeded onions last fall in HT, then transplanted
out in spring, we grew many huge onions.  But we had a glut at the market.
 And the larger they were, the more readily they rotted before some growers
could sell them all. Record heat and ample rain in July, after very dry
June, exacerbated curing and storage.  Those who moved all their onions
fast at wholesale prices came out the best.  But our market motto is
"always fresh, always local", and I'd like to supply bulb onions into the
fall.  Med-small onions still sell well.

I seeded my onions in the HT later this year, in Dec, except 2000 'Candy'
seeds yet to be planted.

And I was looking at buying more Candy seed this morning, as we had the
most requests for that, and it's described as a 'day-neutral' onion, that
could bulb up later than the ones you are mentioning Pam?

Bill, you mention growers that aim for Aug/Sept harvest.  I'd like to shoot
for that (we have drip irrigation), to even out the onion supply at our
market.  But need to find onion seed, growing, curing and storage methods
that work for 'late' season production.  Our driest months are Sept and
Oct, so we time some of our other crop maturities then as well.

Any other growers doing late season bulb onions, at 37 latitude or
thereabouts?

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
SW VA