[Market-farming] Starting Onions in ground

Chris Corbin corbincdc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:47:55 EST 2013

Thanks for the information everyone.

I should have include more specifics. We are farming in central Iowa.  Last
year we started the seed in 200 cell flats and we started over 400 flats.
We just purchased a movable high tunnel and I would I would like to do some
in ground transplants and onions seem to be a good choice.

Pam we usually start about the same time maybe a week earlier ( feb 1st).

Should you start earlier or later than usual ( feb 1) with this method?
Are you planting directly into the soil or adding potting soil to the top?
We use row cover in the fall do you do this for the in-ground transplants?

thanks
Chris Corbin
Tabletopfarm.com