[Market-farming] Starting onions in ground

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Thu Jan 3 08:27:30 EST 2013

Allan

We just direct seed "bunching" onions.  We originally did a larger version using sets which would give use green onions VERY quickly, but the labor cost is absurd for the return.  We direct seed those with our Jang clean seeder.

I haven't played around with enough different varieties to recommend one over another.  We've been playing around with a couple varieties from Johnny's and then try to see if we can find them cheaper from Seedway's organic and untreated options.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855