[Market-farming] Starting onions in ground

Lucy Owsley boulderbelt at embarqmail.com
Thu Jan 3 04:08:23 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Chris Corbin <corbincdc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> We are researching onion transplant possibilities for this season. We were
> wondering if anyone has had experience with direct seeding them in the
> ground in a high tunnel for transplant into the field.
>  Did you put down potting soil first or just plant right into the ground?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris Corbin

We have done this and simply plant the seeds straight into  the soil,
generally on October though we have planted as late as November.If you try
to plant outside now the seeds will sit there until spring and you don't
get any advantage over starting indoors under lights. But starting the
previous fall should give you really big seedlings for spring planting

--
Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm