[Market-farming] Hoss Wheel Hoe

Michael Libsch mmlibsch at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 26 18:45:31 EST 2013


I bought a Hoss wheel hoe a couple years back. It is fairly sturdy, though not as well built as the Glaser wheel hoe. I do not think that it cuts as easily through the soil as the Glaser does either. In general, I have not found this tool to be very useful. I grow my vegetables in beds, so am not able to cultivate most crops with it because they are too close together. I do use it for summer squash, winter squash, and pumpkins which I plant at a spacing of 1 row/bed. In my experience, the Hoss wheel hoe is of no use in cultivating the walkways between beds- it will not cut through even slightly compacted soil without a monumental effort. To cultivate the pathways, I use my BCS with the tires at the closest setting and a 3-shank cultivator. 

Good luck, 

Mike
New Leaf Farm
Hillsdale, NY 

> From: market-farming-request at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Market-farming Digest, Vol 121, Issue 29
> To: market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:01:15 -0500
> 
> Send Market-farming mailing list submissions to
> 	market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/market-farming
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	market-farming-request at lists.ibiblio.org
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	market-farming-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Market-farming digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>    1. High Tunnel Sessions (Wiediger, Alison)
>    2. Re: High Tunnel Sessions (Shoemaker, William H)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:10:26 +0000
> From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger at hart.kyschools.us>
> Subject: [Market-farming] High Tunnel Sessions
> To: High Tunnels Listserv <HIGHTUNNELS at LISTSERV.KSU.EDU>, market
> 	farming	<market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>,
> 	"organichomesteadinggardening at yahoogroups.com"
> 	<organichomesteadinggardening at yahoogroups.com>
> Cc: "Jamie Aramini \(jamiearamini at gmail.com\)"
> 	<jamiearamini at gmail.com>
> Message-ID:
> 	<7F69527A46A0E54A9F16C41B1534D7CB2B8221C3 at BY2PRD0210MB355.namprd02.prod.outlook.com>
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> For many of you this will be unnecessary  information because you live elsewhere, but for Kentuckians and those close,  Paul and I will be talking about high tunnels at three different venues in Kentucky in March.
> 
> First, this week, February 28th and March 1st, we will be attending the Organic Association of Kentucky's third annual conference in Berea where we will have a session on managing your high tunnel for maximum production on Friday. There are also farm tours, lots of interesting sessions,   Dr. Vandana Shiva speaking on Thursday and Atina Diffley on Saturday.  Not to mention Berea itself :)   http://oak-ky.org/
> 
> On March 9th, we will be in Prestonsburg, KY, at the Growing Appalachia Conference in the Jenny Wiley Convention Center talking about ways to enhance your bottom line through high tunnels and other types of protected agriculture.  http://www.kftc.org/growing
> 
> And, at the end of the month, March 30th, we will be attending the Green Living Fair in Somerset, Kentucky.  We will be presenting a session on high tunnels, doing a demonstration of a manual oil press, and manning a booth where we will have herb transplants, artisanal breads and our book on high tunnels.  It looks like a fun day for everyone if you have time to attend, and very reasonable at $5 admission.  Over 50 "green" vendors and lots of workshops and demonstrations.      http://www.kygreenlivingfair.com/
> 
> It's unusual for us to have the opportunity to connect with folks in our state so many times in one short month.  If you live in Kentucky - or somewhere close -  we hope we get the chance to meet you at one of these venues.
> 
> 
> Alison and Paul Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm
> 
> 
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/market-farming/attachments/20130225/3328a28c/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:58:33 +0000
> From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak at illinois.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Market-farming] High Tunnel Sessions
> To: Market Farming <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID:
> 	<5A85FA1DC3DB524491801C112E78A5734B7C7AC1 at CITESMBX2.ad.uillinois.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"
> 
> For those of you unfamiliar with Alison and Paul, if you're interested in managing crops in High Tunnels, you should make time to visit one of their presentations. They give an entertaining presentation, but more importantly, they do a great job teaching growers how to get more out of their tunnel systems. They excel at efficiency.
> 
> 
> 
> Bill
> 
> William H. Shoemaker,
> 
> Northern Illinois Viticulturist - IGGVA
> 
> Illinois Grape Growers and Vintners Association
> 
> wshoemak at illinois.edu<mailto:wshoemak at illinois.edu>
> 
> ________________________________
> From: market-farming-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org [market-farming-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] on behalf of Wiediger, Alison [alison.wiediger at hart.kyschools.us]
> Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 11:10 AM
> To: High Tunnels Listserv; market farming; organichomesteadinggardening at yahoogroups.com
> Cc: Jamie Aramini (jamiearamini at gmail.com)
> Subject: [Market-farming] High Tunnel Sessions
> 
> For many of you this will be unnecessary  information because you live elsewhere, but for Kentuckians and those close,  Paul and I will be talking about high tunnels at three different venues in Kentucky in March.
> 
> First, this week, February 28th and March 1st, we will be attending the Organic Association of Kentucky?s third annual conference in Berea where we will have a session on managing your high tunnel for maximum production on Friday. There are also farm tours, lots of interesting sessions,   Dr. Vandana Shiva speaking on Thursday and Atina Diffley on Saturday.  Not to mention Berea itself :)   http://oak-ky.org/
> 
> On March 9th, we will be in Prestonsburg, KY, at the Growing Appalachia Conference in the Jenny Wiley Convention Center talking about ways to enhance your bottom line through high tunnels and other types of protected agriculture.  http://www.kftc.org/growing
> 
> And, at the end of the month, March 30th, we will be attending the Green Living Fair in Somerset, Kentucky.  We will be presenting a session on high tunnels, doing a demonstration of a manual oil press, and manning a booth where we will have herb transplants, artisanal breads and our book on high tunnels.  It looks like a fun day for everyone if you have time to attend, and very reasonable at $5 admission.  Over 50 ?green? vendors and lots of workshops and demonstrations.      http://www.kygreenlivingfair.com/
> 
> It?s unusual for us to have the opportunity to connect with folks in our state so many times in one short month.  If you live in Kentucky ? or somewhere close -  we hope we get the chance to meet you at one of these venues.
> 
> 
> Alison and Paul Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm
> 
> 
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/market-farming/attachments/20130225/2b0b7819/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Market-farming mailing list
> Market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/market-farming
> 
> Get the list FAQ at: http://www.marketfarming.net/mflistfaq.htm
> 
> 
> End of Market-farming Digest, Vol 121, Issue 29
> ***********************************************
 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/market-farming/attachments/20130226/b2a1ab0f/attachment.html 


More information about the Market-farming mailing list