[Market-farming] losing insurance coverage????

Kakerby kakerby at aol.com
Tue Feb 19 16:12:02 EST 2013

Thanks for that Beth.  There are a lot of "oddities" about this, in terms of how it was handled. Neither the agent nor the underwriter have ever seen our property.  I've never even met the agent; all our conversations have been via phone and/or email.  So we could have the Taj Majal, the Ponderosa, or a hole in the ground and they'd never know one way or the other.  Also, the underwriter had no objections to our original application when he reviewed it two months ago.  But now he's tacking a bunch of "reasons" onto our denial which either he already knew about, or don't exist.  For instance, he cites one reason for the denial is that they don't cover eggs, poultry sales or rabbits.  Yet he was the one who issued the pre-approval months ago, after personally reviewing that we sold eggs, poultry and rabbits.  Another reason is that they don't cover wool processing and consulting, which we don't do, have never done and don't advertise as doing.  So where did that come from?  Or dog food sales, which we tried to get into, but never had a single sale, and we'd already decided not to pursue it.  So he's denying us on things we've never sold and never plan to sell, on items which aren't even listed for sale, and on items which he previously said were perfectly acceptable.  And apparently it's not a Nationwide corporate decision, or your acquaintances wouldn't have succeeded with their policy.  I'm going to refer this to our state Insurance Commissioner and ask them what our options are.  We may yet have to shop for another policy, but nothing about this cancellation adds up.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA