[Market-farming] Alan Chadwick book from Logosophia: Performance In the Garden

Allan Balliett allan.balliett at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 07:40:30 EST 2013

Quite the stirring conversation!

When evaluating experiences with biodynamic farmers (I've been one for 30
years) at a minimum keep in mind that there are Anthroposophic biodynamic
farmers (the biodynamic establishment that listens directly to what Steiner
said, which seems to be the group being criticized in this discussion) and
Applied Biodynamics farmers, people who have taken Steiner's indications
and run with them.

Keep in mind that when you enter the realm of biodynamics at any point,
special rules of teaching and of learning apply. Steiner forbade students
to take notes as he spoke because he believed taking notes interfered with
the actual understanding of what he was saying. Chadwick never wrote a
book, for similar reasons (writing was not The Teaching) and yet he
lectured copiously. A real biodynamic farmer knows that biodynamics works
(there are also several university studies that show BD preps increasing
humus and P, but the flavor of the foods produced on a good biodynamic farm
at generally proof enough, or consideration of all the prizes biodynamic
wines have been garnering around the world in recent years) and knows that
the way to understand biodynamics is by doing it, not by talking about it.
Nobody, my self included, should be rude to strangers, let along those who
appear to want to learn, but the need to apply the scientific method to a
horticulture system that was designed to remediate problems that Science
has brought into the land and food can make someone who actually practices
biodynamics quite angry.

If you don't grok homeopathy, you can never grok biodynamics. If you have
experienced the healing benefits of homeopathy, then you are comfortable
with things that work that our world view can't approach explaining. Let
"proof" go and just DO IT! I think at this point in time most people can
look at, for example, mainstream medicine or nutrition, and realize that
Science, at least not Science perverted to the service of Commerce, is not
offer the solutions we are looking for.

There's a new book of Chadwick Lectures out by Alan Chadwick. This one is
also from the Alan Chadwick archive and put together (very well!) by
Stephen Crimi "Reverence, Obedience and the Invisible in the Garden" Read
"Small is Beautiful" E. M. Schumacher's comment in the bibliography "Alan
Chadwick is the greatest horticulturist we possess today." (1977)

If you want to ask more questions about biodynamics or just learn more
about biodynamics, you can join Biodynamics Now! The International
Biodynamic Food and Farming Discussion group through www.bdnow.org. (You'l
also find a podcast interview with Craig Siska, the man behind the Alan
Chadwick Archive, at bdnow.org) There are numerous lists of books that
augment biodynamic practices available at bdnow.org, also

Which reminds me: the reason Steiner sounds so 'arrogant' in the lectures
you have read is because almost everything you can read from Steiner was
poorly translated from German, probably by  German immigrants who
themselves carried those Germanic traits we Americans have always sensed as
'arrogant' Get ahold of the Malcolm Gardner (now there's an arrogant fellow
;-) translation of Steiner's agriculture in which Steiner comes through as
a well educated man who shares freely informatin that was common to
thinkers in the pre-Cartesian world in a way that makes you want to spend
time with him

-Allan Balliett
Biodynamics Now!
www.bdnow.org