[Market-farming] Alan Chadwick book from Logosophia: Performance In the Garden

ecoponderosa 3cedarsfarm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 17:38:52 EST 2013

On 2/11/2013 10:33 AM, Wyatt Jones wrote:
> I'll have to check that out.  I've been very impressed by Alan Chadwick,
> not so much with Rudolph Steiner though.

> like the manure or silca in the cow horn business.  I've also

Beneficial soil microorganisms, EM, IM, fungi, mycorrhizae, bacteria,
etc. "Preps" or microbial soil innoculants, compost innoculants; there
are several BD preps.

> Some of my experiences with the Boidynamics people also have been very good
> but a lot of them very bad.  Seems a lot of them look at Rudolph Steiner

There are many brilliant, creative, skilled, thoughtful BD advocates.
They alone set the biodynamics movement apart from the rest of the world
of agriculture. Permaculture does the rest.
There are others whom I will never understand like one regular
participant in a bd forum I encountered on facebook who stated that the
cia/kissinger/us/chilean military/pinochet were fully justified, even
obligated, to mount a military coup in Chile to put that genocidal
dictator in power while assassinating the existing leader Salvador
Allende, national heroes folk musician Victor Jara and poet Pablo Neruda
and their supporters and many political activists, a mounting a campaign
of severe political repression to last for years there while similar
ones were happening in Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and in Central
American countries. He maintained that the Chilean Left was getting too
entrenched and powerful and needed to be stopped. Some attitude from an
alleged card carrying follower of biodynamics usually preaching your
typical all sweetness and light love and charity boilerplate. Did he get
these notions from Steiner?

> as some sort of god and many of them treat biodynamics as some sort of
> religion, not open to any sort of questioning, a lot of them literally
> showed me the door when I started asking questions about the mechanics
> and  scientific nuts and bolts of their assertions.  Don't even think

Their loss for being close minded.

> about talking eastern philosophy to them , I practically got lyched
> doing that LOL.  Don't get me wrong, I think there is an underlying
> basis for a lot of what is taught, like the adding of herbs and other
> components to compost for various problems, but the attitude of most the
> people I had experience with was a little too much like very religious
> stuborn blind faith and a clan mentality which usually clashed with my
> attitude of inclusive consideration of possibilities but also of
> critical thinking.

There you go, "attitude of inclusive consideration of possibilities"
says it all and is a good path to follow.

Chadwick went well beyond biodynamics in his work and teaching, using
only some of its principles. He was a broadminded free thinker and
created his own gardening system based on food production methods
carried out by humankind around the globe for thousands of years,
with an emphasis on the French system of biologically intensive market
gardening and similar methods developed in England, Germany and
Switzerland (Howard, King, etc.). During his era he led the way for
newly enlightened people who wanted to adopt natural, regenerative
methods of home food gardening for their own use and well being and for
the health of Gaia. Colleagues of his and present-day advocates of his
work include Marc Bonfils, Emelia Hazelip, Masanobu Fukuoka, John
Jeavons and Eliot Coleman.

That said I don't believe in throwing the baby out
> with the bathwater.  Biodynamics would be a lot more helpful without the
> smoke and mirrors routine.

The mystery will always be there; it is up to you to discover its value.
Like the world-at-large, lean heavily toward the positive. BD is a
religion in that respect as is Permaculture with its system of Three
Ethics with similar lessons in Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism,
Buddhism, Taoism.

> Sorry for the rant, sorta been through a lot on this subject.

Thanks for posting what you did; it was interesting.