[Market-farming] Please sign petition to save bees

Nan Hildreth NanHildreth at riseup.net
Wed Feb 6 13:15:48 EST 2013

>Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:29:19 -0600
>From: "Elijah Zarlin, CREDO Action" <act at credoaction.com>
>
>CREDO action
>

><http://act.credoaction.com/r/?r=6995402&p=efsa_bees&id=54371-1025890-F9ZNhox&t=1>Tell
>the EPA: Immediately suspend the pesticide that is killing bees!
>In light of new evidence showing that the
>pesticide clothianidin poses a significant
>danger to bees, EPA should take immediate action to suspend its use.
>Automatically add your name:
><http://act.credoaction.com/r/?r=6995405&p=efsa_bees&id=54371-1025890-F9ZNhox&t=2>
>Sign the petition º
><http://act.credoaction.com/r/?r=6995405&p=efsa_bees&id=54371-1025890-F9ZNhox&t=2>
>

>Dear Eleanor,
>
>Bees have been dying off in the US at an
>alarming rate ­ nearly 30% of our bee
>population, per year, have been lost to so-called colony collapse since 2006.
>
>Scientists have long thought that the pesticide
>clothianidin was at least partially to blame.1
>But the EPA has repeatedly ignored scientists'
>warnings and Americans' urgings to ban its use, citing lack of evidence.
>
>Now, a blockbuster study released in January by
>Europe's leading food safety authority, EFSA,
>has for the first time labeled clothianidin as
>an "unacceptable" danger to bees.2
>
>The EFSA study could be a major breakthrough to
>convince the EPA to take emergency action, and
>suspend the use of clothianidin to stop the
>precipitous decline in global honeybee populations.
>
><http://act.credoaction.com/r/?r=6995405&p=efsa_bees&id=54371-1025890-F9ZNhox&t=3>Tell
>the EPA: Immediately suspend the pesticide
>that's killing bees! Click here to automatically sign the petition.
>
>In addition to finding clothianidin too
>dangerous to use on plants pollinated by bees,
>EFSA's study specifically identifies as too
>flawed to be useful the shoddy studies provided
>by pesticide manufacturer Bayer as evidence of clothianidin's safety.3
>
>It was these sham studies that EPA used to first
>approve clothianidin in 2003, even against the
>objections of EPA's own scientists.4
>
>The pesticide, which is used to treat seeds like
>corn and canola, expresses itself through the
>plants' pollen and nectar ­ the honeybee's
>favorite sources of food. Clothianidin is in a
>class of pesticides called neonicotinoids, which
>are relatively new, and their use coincides with the rise of colony collapse.
>
>If EPA does not take emergency action now, it
>won't review clothianidin again until 2018.
>
>Given the rate of colony collapse, and the
>indispensable role that pollinators play in our
>food system ­ pollinating one-third of our food
>crops and providing literally billions of
>dollars in economic benefit ­ it would be
>stunningly irresponsible of EPA to continue
>allowing the use of this dangerous pesticide for at least another five years.
>
>Click below to automatically sign the petition
>urging EPA to take immediate action now:

> [...]

Nan Hildreth, 713-504-9901

"About 20% of the fossil fuel we burn goes to the
food system.  That's as much as goes to personal
transportation.  ... We don't often think about
food in connection with climate change, but it is
a tremendous contributor ... it's one of the
easier ways to address the problem." says Michael
Pollan, author in the documentary "Killer at
Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat"
which can be played online at Netflix.