[Market-farming] Bottom watering trays

Marty Kraft martyk at allspecies.org
Fri Feb 1 19:06:12 EST 2013

I make my own system from 6 mil plastic and 1X2s. I use regular flats, the trays have open bottoms. I fill the "tray" formed by the 1X2s and plastic and the water rises up into each cell for uniform watering. See the video at http://organotill.org/video-index/building-a-light-stand/

On Jan 31, 2013, at 7:40 PM, Marlin Burkholder wrote:

> I have been searching for good bottom watering trays to be used on a plant starting rack inside the house.  I bought a bunch of “Perma Nest” trays about five years ago but made the mistake of using them for bottom watering in the greenhouse and after about two seasons they became brittle from UV light exposure.  Half of them have holes in the bottom and no longer serve for bottom watering.  Way too expensive for no longer than I’ve had them.  There is a product called a “giant garden watering tray” available through Greenhouse Megastore that looks tempting.  It is wide and long enough to hold four 1020 trays, looks durable, and would fit perfectly on my plant starting rack.  At $18 a pop it doesn’t look that bad. I would still like to use them some in the greenhouse where UV deterioration is a concern.  Has anyone tried them?  Will they hold up in the greenhouse and be worth the money?

> address and password):

Marty Kraft
Please respond to global warming in your own way. Let care of nature become second nature.