[Market-farming] Digging Dogs and Feral Hogs, Anyone?

Barking Cat Farm barkingcatfarm at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 1 12:23:48 EST 2013

Hello,

We're embarking on a project to reinforce our farm's perimeter fence.  It is currently 4' field fence, which has worked well on coyotes and other non-deer larger mammals.  However, we have a problem with digging, particularly from the local pack of vicious dogs.  We need to find a way to keep them out, and since I'm modifying the fence anyway, we want to also exclude feral hogs.  We don't have them yet, but they've been spotted in the vicinity, so it's only a matter of time until they find us.  What damaging behaviors and solutions have you experienced with respect to feral hogs?

More detail:  Our perimeter has a variety of micro-environments, so it may be a hybrid design works the best.
- Some areas are heavily vegetative. We don't plan to modify these areas at this time, as the vegetation is doing a good job of exclusion and we say if it's not broken don't fix it.;

- in other areas we have purposely planted rose bushes and other low growing plants which will do a good job of exclusion once they are more mature. In these areas we might need to do some chicken wire "elled" at the bottom of the field fence and extended out a few inches and stapled down to prevent digging until roses and other plants mature, hot wire not a good idea due to vegetative load.;

- and in other areas we have bare ground where vegetation is not growing due to heavy forest shade, for example.  In these areas, not quite sure whether a hot wire or a barrier mesh similar to above is a better solution.  We know mesh works against digging dogs, but not sure about hogs.  Thoughts?

My question to those who have dealt with feral hogs and fencing is how, specifically, they damage and/or breech fencing?  Do they ram and break it, do they dig under it, or what?

Note: please don't suggest poisoning, shooting, or trapping.  We have thoughtfully considered and ruled all three out for a variety of reasons.  We feel that exclusion is our best option and are looking for guidance on that specifically.

Many thanks in advance,

Laurie Bostic
Owner/Farmer
Barking Cat Farm