[Market-farming] Hops

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Fri Feb 1 08:56:04 EST 2013

Here is a good group that is filled with a bunch of farmers growing nothing but Hops.  If you are looking for experts this is the list I think.  Grow-Hops at yahoogroups.com

We looked into growing hops but the initial cost per acre plus the processing equipment was a bit steep.  We estimated a bare minimum of 50K at least. If there were other growers in the area that number would come down if there was processing equipment to rent but we do not.  We still grow small amounts of it as vines and shade for edible flowers for chefs and a couple home brewers but as finicky as the microbrewers are you REALLY need a top notch operation producing exactly what they want and that means processing, drying, and packing.

Labor is also an issue.  Here in the Cincinnati area we are deficient of cheap agricultural labor.  Though with hops we could get some volunteers I suppose but I would never want to base a business on that.  Our workshare CSA is proof that you get what you pay for.  :)

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855