[Market-farming] How many CSA shares per acre?

Andy Fellenz artisanfarms at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 09:23:21 EDT 2013

I have >40 shares/planted acre, including 1/3 acre of high tunnels. The
hightunnels and the fact that with the exception of beans, carrots and a
few minor crops everything is transplanted make a big difference for me in
terms of the number of shares/acre.  I grow very intensively with some of
the high tunnel space yielding 5 crops/year and some field areas at 3
crops/year.  I have also stopped growing some of the space intensive crops
like sweet corn.  Finally, I have eggs and honey as supplemental items for
the shares as both require little space for the number of portions
produced.  I offer 3 share sizes - micro with 4 items/week, small with 6-7
items/week and large with 10-11 items a week and offer season lengths from
4 - 34 weeks.  I start small with ~25 shares in mid April and have ~200
shares in the peak growing months and wind down with ~50 shares in
November/early December.  We also sell at one farmers market and on the
farm year round.

Andy