[Market-farming] VA organic extension agent needed

Marlin Burkholder burkholders at glenecofarm.com
Tue Aug 27 09:08:44 EDT 2013

CAN any of you help us locate an extension agent with a Ph.D for the
following job at VSU near Richmond, VA?
Christine Burkholder

A wonderful opportunity is at our door step and I'm appealing for your help.
Every 15 to 20 years a new job position opens  at the Virginia State
University for an extension agent  whose  responsibilities align with those
of VABF.  Now is such a time.  This job announcement is posted on the VSU
website and was mentioned in one of our e-newsletters.

I can't tell you how important this search will be for the future of
sustainable farming in VA. Most, if not all, extension agents in the state
support conventional farming.  Any organic  research, our annual conference,
and our national networks are all affected by the quality and energy of the
person who will be hired. (We were really lucky to have a dynamic extension
agent, Andy Hankins, in the past - but such luck is not guaranteed.)

VSU has been looking for the right person unsuccessfully for about three
years. They say it is hard to find a person with a Ph.D. in an ag related
field who is interested in small scale sustainable farming. Let's help them
out this time! Let your contenders know that VABF will support their efforts
and would welcome a close relationship.

I know that many of you have worked on farms as interns, or taken a course,
or networked at a workshop and met just that person. I'm asking that you
reach back into your collective minds to identify people who you would like
VABF and VSU to work with in the coming decade(s). Please contact them
yourselves and ask them to apply or simply email us their names, contact
info, and why you think they would be great for the job. I'll make sure we
talk to them and VSU with your input. Send it either to myself
(ohara.kathy1 at gmail.com) or Janet Aardema, our Executive Director
(janet at vabf.org).

Thank you.

Best,