[Market-farming] anyone working with a food hub?

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 01:22:48 EDT 2012

I went ahead and signed up for this particular service, and so far I'm
cautiously optimistic.  It sounds a lot like what you've described  below.  I
create my own "fresh-sheet" for any given week, with whatever  products and
quantities we have available.  I also set my own retail price,  my own
wholesale price, and what minimum volume folks would have to buy to get  the
wholesale price.  I liked that last feature quite a bit.  They  have two days of
deliveries (Tues/Thurs) and I have to get product there by  10:30 the
morning of a delivery if it needs to be delivered.  But I can  also direct
customers to pick up there.  I already have some folks in that  area so that's
handy.  I get paid when I drop off, and customers pay when  they pick up, with a
fee charged for handling the transaction.  Another  nice thing is that they
have three different levels of membership, where the  higher the
membership, the more "bells and whistles" come with it but at higher  cost.  Things
like auto-invoicing and monthly sales reporting and other  features which
don't matter much to me right now at our micro-scale, but would  become more
important as our sales added up.  I'm still fuzzy on some of  the details but
I'm working through their FAQs and figuring it out as I  go.

I'll keep folks posted.  We're doing a better job of finding our own
customers lately, but it's been a very slow buildup.  This may help us  reach
more folks, with less effort per new customer.  I'll be curious to  see whether
this new food hub listing out-performs our Local Harvest  listing.  I've
gotten some window-shoppers through the latter, but only a  few actual
customers.  We're also involved with two different informal  bulk-buy groups, which
have also given us a few customers here and there.   I guess it all adds
up.  The food hub claims to reduce the amount of effort  required for
producers to gain new customers.  We'll see if they live up to  that particular
advertising claim.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 9/12/2012 8:27:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,