[Market-farming] anyone working with a food hub?

Vern and Amy vaspencer at sisna.com
Wed Sep 12 23:27:24 EDT 2012

We are involved in something like that-- SixRiversMarket.com

This is a local online system where local producers advertise what they
have to sell, can set quantities available that the computer system
keeps track of while people order.  Customers order anytime Friday
through Monday the specific items from the specific producer that they
want.  The producer gets it to the distribution center with the label
for each customer on each item (or one package for each
customer--producer's choice) on Wed. early afternoon and customers pick
up late afternoon to early evening.  The producer is paid when they
deliver to the hub, and the customers pay either online or when they
pick up that day.

It started as a non-profit co-op, but wasn't run well and was given over
to a businessperson this spring.  We are in the process of rebuilding
our customer base.  Each producer sets the price for his own product,
can add, subtract, change prices at any time, but if it is during the
order cycle, the manager has to update it from their end.  The market
takes 6 percent from the price set by the producer, and adds tax and I
think percent from the consumer as well.

We drop off product on our way to Farmer's Market and if we have ordered
anything ourselves, we pick it up after market.  The nice thing is we
know what is sold before we even pick it.  The downside is if we only
have one order we still have to get it there, but it is only a couple
blocks from Wed. market and during the winter we can either keep going
or take a break.

I don't know how Local Orbit works.

Vern
Vern's Veggies and More!