[Market-farming] anyone working with a food hub?

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 00:55:52 EDT 2012

We just had an email go out in our area, that a food hub has opened at a
nearby (less than 20miles) agricultural teaching center.  They've been
pretty active in our area for sustainable ag, but I didn't know this was a part
of their big plan until I saw the email.  The food hub itself is being
managed by an entity called Local Orbit, which apparently has some experience
with food hubs in various parts of the country.  The deal is that we the
seller, would contract with them to drop off whatever we have to sell that week
 at their location.  Then customers would agree to pick up there, and/or
get  deliveries from there.   I'm not clear on some of the details yet, for
instance who sets pricing and whether I need to direct my customers there, or
 they expect customers to show up looking for product.  Possibly both.

I mainly wanted to know if anyone on the list has any experience with a
setup like this.  They are NOT calling themselves a CSA, and they are  telling
sellers that it's a wholesale distribution, so they do get some of the
proceeds.  There's no fee for the service, just "a piece of the  action".  At
first that was a turnoff, but frankly I'd pay that at the  farmer's market
anyway.  I'll be doing some more reading tonight on how the  pricing works and
who sets the price, and where that all goes.   But  I'm thinking hard about
joining up.  We've had a heckuva time this year  drumming up direct
customers, for a variety of oddball reasons.  So this  sounds appealing to us.  Any
comments or experiences, good bad or  otherwise?
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA